Thursday, October 27, 2011

Lace overlay cranberry skirt

I've been working on this (forever) -- actually, I did the antique lace overlay probably about a month ago. All that was left is to add the waist band, easy?  Yes and no.  Easy if you put your mind to it and actually do it.  Not so easy if you don't.  ;)

It is a cranberry dupioni with antique lace.



How I made it:  First, I measured a piece of silk.  I hemmed the silk.  Then, I attached the top to the lace.  I gathered both together.  I stitched a seam halfway up the back (leaving enough room for Agnes to get in.  To make the waistband, I cut the silk on the bias (think diagonal) I folded the silk in half.  Ironed that.  Then I folded under the hem in the front and in the back of the waistband.  I placed the waistband over the skirt portion.  Then I basted it to make sure it all fit.  I tucked in the ends of the waistband (no raw edges).  I machine stitched the waistband.  I added a single snap to close the back.

Viola.  Now, I need to make a top.  I think a cranberry top with offwhite lace trim.  I have something in mind, but I also have a ton of projects I should be working on.  

Thanks for following along.

1 comment: