Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Catching up! Carriage photos.

I will dedicate the next several posts to working on/finishing my existing project.

Well, this is a bear of a project.  But I want to do it right, so I'm going to take my time.

I started with the pumpkin.  I showed this several posts ago.  Today, I felt ambitious, so I started the painting.

Here are a few shots of the white pumpkin becoming a silver carriage (It's easier when a fairy god mother waves a magic wand!)

What you are looking at.  It's the pumpkin with a door/window cut out sitting on a cardboard box stuffed with plastic (so the paint doesn't get inside) after a first quick coat (to prevent drip marks) -- it is spray paint (but not regular spray paint -- as that "eats" foam) Our pumpkin is foam (although hard foam -- foam nonetheless).

So far so good.  Thin coat, no drips.

From this view, you get a better look at the door (bottom of the photo)  It looks like a set of teeth to me.  :)  That will be attached using a small hinge.

Here's the totality of it from above.  Reminds me of the tin man.  If I were going to make a tin man halloween pumpkin, this is how I would have started.

I was thinking about this project yesterday.  I recalled a doll "carriage"-- antique with velvet interior.  Really splendid.  I'd like mine to be of the best quality I can muster.

Working inside this pumpkin will be challenging.  I was thinking I should have cut the thing in half  horizontally and reconnected when I'm done (however that would be "cheating" and moreover, I can't imagine reattaching it and not seeing seams and the like).

So, I'm "working in the hole".  First.  I want to attach batting to the walls (glue will work for this) it is just attaching the correct sizes so there are no lumps.  I decided strips would work best.  As it will be covered with fabric, if I just laid a large piece of batting, I would have gotten lumps and bumps where the batting wasn't laying flat against the curvature of the pumpkin.

The pumpkin is large.  Large enough for Agnes to sit comfortably inside.  Not too large though.

Hopefully, you can get an idea of the size hole that I am working with.  It is the combination door/window.

I placed the first bit of batting and secured it.  This was actually harder than I thought it would be.  Maybe it is my big hands or that small opening.  (The opening isn't that small).  On a scale of 1 to 10.  I give it a 7.

The interior with the pumpkin on its side.  The interior is a weird yellow color.  The exterior of the pumpkin was white.  I think this yellow is the natural color of the foam used to make the pumpkin.  In the next photo, I panned out a bit so you can see the opening.

The hinge is for the door.  I'm filling in the batting (a pain really).  Next step is to measure and stitch the lining -- this is a brocade fabric with metallic thread.  To attach it, I'm going to tack it creating a quilted pattern.  I then need to create the seating, attach to a base and add wheels, finish decorating.  Put the door on.  Add curtains.  Yikes lots of steps still to go.  I'm just muddle through one step at a time.  :)

Rome wasn't built in a day, neither will Cinderella's carriage :)


Post a Comment