Tuesday, April 3, 2012

As promised... My most "unique" fashion doll

I remember reading that she might have been from the French caribbean islands -- when they saw fashion dolls and attempted to make something similar.  Is it an antique? -- I have no way of knowing. At the very least, it is a primitive leather fashion doll.

She is quite primitive -- really a great doll though.  I got her at the Florida Fair grounds.  I remember the guy didn't take credit cards and I didn't have enough cash... -- I "found" a check I had stuck in my purse for something else (I thought it was fate -- so I bought her) -- never regretted that moment.  I think she was $100.  I really wanted her, I didn't even barter, I said "I'll take it." -- then the guy got nervous -- he said "what do you know about the doll?"  Honestly, I answered "Nothing, I just like it." -- He thought I secretly knew he had some kind of treasure and wasn't saying, but my reply set his mind at ease.

I really don't know anything about this doll, other than I like it and the stitching is very similar to french fashion dolls.... where the seams are placed, yet it is very primitive.  She does have applied thumbs and applied ears.  She eyes are inset under the leather.  Her pate is like a muslin material.


She' a petite beauty with separately stitched fingers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment