Monday, November 7, 2011

Floored! Literally. More Carriage

I think the carriage posts may be getting a little old for some, but I keep thinking:  This has got to end....sometime.

As I mentioned in the beginning, I really don't want to rush.  I want to take my time and hopefully do a quality job.

So, I figured I'll put in the flooring.  (how hard could that be?) Never a good train of thought for me, as I become frustrated as it does sort of turn out to be kinda hard -ish.  Time consuming.

I wanted to use foam core board (since I had some left over) to form the bones of it.  Also, I had purchased fun foam (white with sparkles embedded into it) with a self stick backing.  Perfect I thought.  However upon closer inspection, this foam was not rigid enough to floor with.

I settled on cardboard as it had a tad bit more flexibility.

So here's how it went down:

First.  Draw pattern.  I wanted to use felt, but couldn't find it.  Decided to use paper (simpler).

Here's the pattern.  I just stuck a sheet of paper in and traced it best I could.  Cut it and did the fitting.


I then traced this onto a piece of cardboard.  Nothing fancy.  Corrugated  brown cardboard.  Cut that out.


This was then stuck to the sparkly foam (you can see that I pulled back the cover sheet) and the cardboard is sitting on the foam in the above picture.

The foam was then trimmed.


So, I had been fitting all along, but still there is the "moment of truth" hold your breath -- does it fit.

Here's the fitting:


It's dark (as I'm shooting without flash),  Checking the corners.  Looks good.  You can get a feel for the glitter.  I think this looks better in person than in the photos.


Here's a panned out shot, so you can get a feel for the placement, etc.


Glad I didn't complete the throne before installing the flooring.  It appears that the throne needs some modifications.

Still attempting to get the fabric for that throne.  Still looking around.

2 comments:

  1. I love these carriage posts. Most people just show you the finished product with maybe some pics of how it was done, but I feel like I'm doing this project with you! Looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete